There are several possible types of hazardous material contamination: chemical, biological or radioactive. Though each presents unique hazards, emergency response is similar.
- Immediately call 911, and then notify Security at 1-401-808-6781.
- Secure the contaminated item and area. Place the suspected envelope or package in a plastic bag or some other type of container to prevent leakage of contents, if possible.
- If you do not have a container, then cover the envelope or package with anything (e.g. clothing, paper, trash can, etc.) and do not remove this cover.
- Leave the room and close the door, or section off the area to prevent others from entering.
- Wash hands with soap and water to prevent spreading any powder to your face.
- Make a list of all personnel who were in the immediate area when the package was discovered and any other person that may have been exposed to it. Give the list to local public health authorities and/or law enforcement officials.